Today marks a full two years of Peonies and Bees.
When I first started this blog, I had NO idea what I wanted to do with it. It has changed and morphed shapes and directions a million times over. And it’s still not finished. This blog is continuously evolving, and I’m still grasping to figure out what on earth I’m doing. Sometimes, it feels like I have no idea.
Some days, I feel like deleting this entire site, declaring that I’m quitting blogging forever. Other days, I wake up and couldn’t imagine my life without this blog, loving this little corner of the internet I get to call mine. Some days I despise the name Peonies and Bees, and wish I had chosen a different name. Some days I’m proud of what I’m doing here, and other times, I realize that my ‘brand’ is all over the map (much like this post is turning into, so thanks for bearing with me).
I still beat myself up for not having a solid ‘elevator pitch’ on what this little website is. What is it? What is my elevator pitch? I still struggle with defining what my blog is. ‘Lifestyle blog’ seems so vague…
I didn’t know where I wanted to go with this post. Simply wanted to wish Peonies and Bees a Happy Birthday, a Happy Blogiversary. I know one thing for sure, I’d be lost without this tiny corner of the internet.
Here are the top posts in the last 365 days, along with what I’ve learned since the last birthday —
MOST POPULAR POSTS; MAY 2016 — MAY 2017
- Top Ted Talks That Will Change Your Life
- Capsule Wardrobe | Fall + Winter 2016
- Money Diaries | Volume No. 1 (rest of the money series here)
- Why I Eat the Same Lunch Every-Single-Day During Weekdays
- Picking the Wedding Color Palette | Hue Had Me At Hello
- Everything You Want to Know About Online Dating, From a Man’s Perspective
THE THINGS I’VE LEARNED SINCE LAST YEAR
- Writing a blog post in exchange for a free beauty product — that will never see the light of day after the post goes live — feels gross, disingenuous, and not authentic at all. I stopped accepting free beauty products in exchange for a blog post. And I’m so sorry I’ve subjected you, my dear reader, to several of these… never again!
- With that said, I’ve been toying with the idea of taking beauty off the blog all together. It’s not really what I want to write about anymore. No more hair, makeup, nails, or skincare. Unless there’s something I’m dying to share…
- With my recent career shift, I want to focus more on food! I want to blog more in the kitchen, and less in front of a mirror.
- Other topics? Books! Book reviews are still my favorite to write about. Pssst! My favorite book from last summer, and from winter.
- Curating an ascetically pleasing Instagram is daunting, and feels so forced. That is why I will never become a full time blogger, and I’ve accepted that. I’m happy to post terribly grainy, badly lit iPhone photos that don’t fit in with my ‘brand.’
- Speaking of terrible photos, I’ve finally learned how to use my camera in manual mode, and with that said, I can finally adjust ISO, F-Stop and shutter speed and understand why I’m doing it! Though, I get a bit lazy and still prefer auto-mode when I’m in a rush.
- I’m pretty bad at keeping in touch with my friends from back home, and from college, and even a few of my friends here in DC. And that goes for most of my relatives too. With that said, I know that friends and family enjoy reading my updates, my blog, my life. That’s one of the reasons I could never give this blog up.
- When I get really busy, the blog takes a back seat, and I feel so guilty about it. Blogging then becomes a chore, and it just feels terrible. Speaking of which…
I cannot even tell you how horrible I feel for neglecting the blog these last few weeks. I’ve been sporadically posting and it’s awful. I don’t really have a good excuse.
My personal chef business has recently picked up quite a bit, which has been a dream. The week before I left for London, and the week I got back, I cooked for FIVE families. Woof! Up to my elbows in cookbooks, grocery lists, invoices, and expenses. All good things!!! But you can see why Peonies and Bees took a back seat. And for that, I do apologize.
I’m going to try my best to stick to a doable posting schedule, perhaps 2x per week — Tuesdays and Thursdays. And if there is something I’m dying to share with you, I’ll post a third. Sound good? I think so too. OK then, it’s a plan.
See you back here on Tuesdays and Thursdays! xx