Since becoming a personal chef, my friends have taken up a fun little habit of emailing me recipes they swear by, insisting I try them out. If not for me and my husband, then for a client. These emails are always warmly welcomed, and I always give these recipes a shot.
This particular vegetable side dish is dubbed “The Best Broccoli of Your Life.” So I was pretty eager to make this, as I’m a HUGE vegetable lover, and in particular — broccoli. I mean, who doesn’t love it?!
THE WORLDS BEST BROCCOLI
- 5lb broccoli
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and thinly sliced
- Quality olive oil
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tsp grated lemon zest
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3 tbsp pine nuts, toasted
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp julienned fresh basil leaves (est. 12 leaves)
- Heat oven to 425°
- Cut broccoli florets from the thick stalks. Cut the larger pieces through the base of the head with a small knife, pulling the florets apart.
- Place broccoli florets on a sheet pan, in a single layer. Toss the garlic on the broccoli and drizzle olive oil on top. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Roast for 20-25 minutes.
- While broccoli is roasting, dry toast pine nuts in a small pan on medium heat.
- Remove the broccoli from oven, immediately toss with another 2 tbsp of olive oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, toasted pine nuts, Parmesan, and basil.
- Note: this dish is best served hot
I made this dish on a particular night Alex was working late, and would be on my own for dinner. This side dish was so incredibly tasty, I ended up eating the entire batch (yup, all six servings) all by myself for dinner, and completely ignored the roasted salmon I had prepared. There were no left overs to speak of (minus the salmon), and I’m perfectly OK with that.
PS. the original recipe is here.